Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Return of the Weight Update

In about a month, I'll be posting some pictures of my weight loss gathered from the last year. As it currently stands, I'm floating around between 68-69 kilograms (150-152 pounds). This has pushed me into the normal area of the BMI, and though you can go on and on about the supposed accuracy of that system, it's been a mental finish line since I was about 100 kilograms.

Because of this mental finish line, I've decided to take a break this past week. By no means have I stopped exercising. After almost 11 months of constant exercise, resting for one day sits on my brain like a metal chip. It drives me bonkers. But my body needed a rest. I pushed it hard in the last month and dropped almost twenty pounds. (Bravo to my little brother, who accomplished a likewise feat and is now headed to the Minnesota state wrestling championship. Huzzah!)

I've been told I look good and I should maybe ease up as well. But the thing is, since I've lost almost 50ish kilograms over the course of a year, I'm interested in seeing how far I can push it, to see just how big a change can be wrought. I'm going to keep losing weight: tomorrow begins the marathon training and some excess flab I still have will be eaten up in the process. It'll be my first marathon, and because of that it's only a half-marathon, but I'm already excited and it'll be the culmination of a year of dieting and exercise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, we are so terribly proud of you and cannot imagine you 20 pounds less than you were when you left to return to Japan. You are incredible!!! Please stay healthy...We cannot wait to wrap our arms around your diminishing frame. You are loved so very much!!! Grandpa Gary and Grandma Joyce

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh, it's Jeff Turner. I don't have your e-mail address on me at the moment, but I'm going to be in Japan in June. Officially, I'm attending a workshop on Japanese popular culture in Tokyo from June 21 through June 29, but if not too terribly expensive, I'd like to stick around for a few extra days. Thoughts? Suggestions? I also applied to attend a workshop in Japanese language and culture through Tokai University and the Japan Studies Association, and I was one of twenty faculty/admin across the country selected. Three weeks in Hawaii studying Japan! That's pretty cool and I will have already attended that before the Tokyo event so I'm excited. So, big Japanese experiences ahead. Tomorrow (3/20) I'm off to NYC for some "professional development" which means Hamline is paying for me to see four plays in three days (plus the Whitney Biennial 2008) but when I get back to work on Monday morning I need to start planning my Japan trip. Give me a hollar when you get this: jturner@hamline.edu

Jeff Turner

Anonymous said...

All right, it's been a month already, let's see some pictures!! Hope you are doing well, always look forward to your updates. Miss you!! Monica