Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A little of this, a little of that.

Seems like every post I want to make I also want to preface with "So I've been busy." And I am: I'm busy like a person who's moving in two months, plans to bum around Japan for three or four weeks, feels the day is wasted if he hasn't exercised and is throwing all his effort into studying for a Japanese proficiency test in December.

I sat down and read The Yiddish Policemen's Union yesterday because it had to be done for book club this coming Friday, and though I enjoyed it, I felt as if I was wasting time better devoted to exercising and studying or making sure my proverbial ducks are in a row. It was also written in ENGLISH. But I'll forgive it that.

Part of the reason I'm feeling a bit behind is I spent the weekend on Izena island relaxing. Myself and about 12 others boated out there and spent the afternoon and evening swimming, scootering, cricket playing and BBQing. Cricket was most enjoyable: it was my first time playing, and I have to say it was a lot more enjoyable than games of baseball I've watched or played.* At some point a few of us also skipped into a snack bar next to the beach and sang a song or two.

In said snack bar, I was hit with a dazzling moment of inspiration after a rousing chorus of "Ghostbusters." I wrote it down and shuffled if off to do later, when I return to the states, along with a couple other more creative projects. Among those are interviewing family members and creating a podcast. To do these things, however, requires a much better (i.e. working) computer than I have now, and I've decided to wait until I get back to the states to buy one, seeing as macs in Japan are even more ridiculously overpriced.

Despite not posting much, I am getting out more and being more sociable. I had a problem, when I was bigger, about my own self-worth, and though being thinner and in shape by no means vanishes all problems instantly like some incredible panacea, I do feel more confident in my approach to people. The realization that my self-worth hinges upon my appearance causes a certain amount of discomfort.

Vanity. Oy.

Getting on a scale, looking in a mirror everday, revising exercise plans to accommadate for a weekend, a day of excess; it's a consuming process. That it should irk me that I have little to no access to weightlifting equipment I find a little frightening, as is the desire to do more than I'm already doing, which is running three times a week (two of those times over an hour) and swimming two-three times a week.

Need to teach now. Did I mention I'm finding the time to do that too?

*I'll just surrender my American citizenship now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Small world. A random and totally unrelated Google search landed me at this site, much to my amazement. Remember a gal from your youth named Coon? Same said gal whom you introduced to Robert Jordan and company? Well, this be she. Glad to see life is treating you well, and you're finally learning Japanese.

I didn't see an email address listed here, but if you ever feel like dropping me a line (assuming you catch this comment to begin with), feel free to. I can be reached at somniavi(at)gmail(dot)com.

Take care.